Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Students appreciate the effort.

Brenmar, K. (2015) My Favorite Teachers Use Social Media: A Student Perspective. Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2015/04/22/my-favorite-teachers-use-social-media-a.html


As I sift through many articles on the internet about technology in the classroom, I stumble across an article written by Katie Brenmar a recent high school freshmen. It's titled "My Favorite Teachers Use Social Media: A Student Perspective."  Brenmar talks about the excitement of becoming a freshmen, and all the expectations that go along with it.  She soon realizes how consuming that social media can be for high school student.  How there is a need to always be connected and well liked by peers.  School is often a topic of discussion, but it eventually it gives way to talk about social media.  Brenmar also refers to the two topics rarely intertwining.  Brenmar basically has a desire for teachers to use social media as a way to connect with and engage students.

As I read through the article a few things stick out to me.  She uses words like road block and addictive to describe social media.  As a teacher I would tend to agree.  While I think that social media has a place in education it can also be a hurdle.  It's our job to take that hurdle and turn it into a challenge for the students.  I know it's just one students take on social media, but it sounds like maybe using social media or any technology for that matter might be a great way to reach these kids.

Lets face it, it's called social media and not educational media for a reason.  If educators can just get into that social media world for a little bit a day, we can keep this generation of students engaged in the learning process a little bit longer.  Katie also talked about teachers being relatable.  As educators we have to know our audience.  We have to relate to this generation.  Now I don't consider myself to be old and behind the times, but so much has changed in the last 10 years.  I guess it's get on the bus or get left behind.  Get on the bus, the students will appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment